Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Aftermat

So Hillary won the popular vote, but lost.

Kinda remind me of that television show Survivor. The Electoral College is like an Immunity Idol but, instead of keeping a survivor in the game, it takes the survivor voted for out. In other words, taking that analogy into this event, your vote was for naught, it really, as Jeff Probst would say, "Does not count".

Thus far, I’ve only had to unfollow one person, and not because of her political views, but because she’s become a religious nut.

A spiritually minded individual my own self, I’d become increasingly uncomfortable with what she’s been posting, the tone of which comes across as judgmental, pompous, arrogant, fanatical. A lot of what “We as Christians” should and should not do … same-sex marriages are a sin against God … PokémonGo is evil and gives our enemies landmarks to target.

Even Halloween, in her eyes, is the devil’s tool … “Don't let your children participate just for having a few free candy. Remember that the devil is going to collect with interest!!!” … “As believers, we need to know clearly what side of the spiritual battle we are on. A substitute is not dress in a benign costume and attend a ‘harvest fest’. The substitute is to suit up in the full armor of God, bend our knee and cry out to the Lord of hosts to fight the battle against powers and principalities. Our job is not to conform to the world, but rather to be transformed by the Holy Spirit.”

WHAT?!

She posted THAT just above a photo of herself dressed in a Day of the Dead costume, surrounded by others similarly dressed.

When someone questioned the hypocrisy, her response was “That’s different. It wasn't Halloween related. The youth did an illustrated sermon about dying unto one’s self.”

Not all of my facebook friends are unhappy with results of the election, which is their right and doesn’t bother me one bit.

But I found it strange, considering plans to "build a wall", when this religious zealot friend, this Hispanic friend, the friend who taught me how to make tamales, the friend who was already teetering on the edge of being unfollowed, began posting anti-Hillary … “Lord help us if this woman is elected” … “Reasons Why Hillary Should Not Be Elected”.

But then again, she’s entitled to her own opinion and I myself try not to judge. However, when she’d asked me to let her know next time I was at the Souplantation -- which is near her job, so we could meet up for lunch, I stopped facebook check-in so she’d not know I was there.

The fact that I no longer wanted to spend time with her, was actively hiding my whereabouts from her, was a sign it was time to unfollow, but I didn’t.

The straw that broke this camel’s back was her reaction to the vote, that she “Prayed, Prayed Prayed!”, and it was now “Amen Amen Amen!!!” … “God is on our side!”

Bye girl.

On tap for today is the dealership for those shocks.

It’s gonna be a long wait, around 3 hours, and I’d like to go walking, hunt Pokémon. However, I did that last time and it was a nightmare because the area around the Convention Center is all car lots, and those guys are hungry … aggressively hungry.

I’m like walking down the sidewalk, obviously engrossed in something on the cellphone, and guys are yelling at me, “What kind of car you looking for?”

“I’m not. I’m in the Service Department.”

Some even came out of nowhere, hoping to engage me in conversation with a smile and their good looks, “Good morning ma’am. What are you driving now?”

I gave them a curt “A car I’m happy with” and kept walking.

So to avoid being bothered today, I’ll just check the area for new Pokémon. If there's something new in the area, it would make being bothered worth it. If nothing new shows up, I’ll read, meditate, sleep.

2 comments:

  1. my oldest daughter has been posting non-stop political stuff since yesterday. I've unfollowed her, and will just check once or twice a week. I haven't told her I've done it. God I hope it's died down before Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's your daughter. One of my daughter's is a Republican, but she crossed party lines and voted Hillary.

      Delete