Monday, November 7, 2016

Eleven Steps

Back when I was looking to relocate, because Nurse Ratched wasn't handling the termites swarming into my unit, I thought ahead and just in case the worst possible outcome happened with this election, I’d included requirements for moving to Canada in the search, even looked into senior complexes.

On television, when someone is fleeing the country into Canada, they just get in the car and go. It looks so easy.

It’s not.

There are eleven complicated steps, involving official documents and permission to enter from Canada.

As a retiree, I would not need to apply for citizenship – which I would consider, even though it would add even more complicated steps to the process, but found a visa would suffice.

But even if I were to work my way through the steps, I’d still need to visit the country, book myself a hotel and stay long enough to find a place to live.

Not in the financial position to flee the country right now, I’ll just have to suck-it-up if the future looks bleak end of day tomorrow.

Besides, as a spiritual student, the message I’ve received from my studies is that one is never to run from situations life gives you; instead one is to work through -- that the way out IS the way through.

Gonna be a rough four years, possibly eight if tomorrow goes wrong; and then we’ll surely have Junior to contend with after that, but it’s gonna be what it’s gonna be.

That’s not to say that, given the opportunity – financially and otherwise, Canada might not be an option at a later date. I’ll just see the change in circumstances as a sign to “pick up your bed and walk”.

Only I’ll drive.

6 comments:

  1. I recently read a book (biography of Jane Jacobs) where the whole family fled to Canada during the Viet Nam War to keep their son out of the draft. Canada, at that time, was quite receptive to fleeing Americans, especially if they brought resources and talent. The family had no problem and actually became citizens later on due to how much they loved the country and its citizens. I wouldn't be able to handle the cold. Perhaps I should consider Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Resources and talent" were key in what I read about relocating to Canada. Unfortunately, I possess neither.

      Delete
  2. I live in Canada and love your blog. If you were to come to Canada your best bet would be Vancouver, B.C. Anywhere else would be too far and too cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone living in Canada would weigh-in. I'll keep Vancouver in mind.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine what it would take for me to leave the country for political reasons. In my opinion, the mature thing to do is to contribute to a problem's solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiet meditative contemplative loner that I am, I can't see myself getting involved.

      Delete