Monday, September 26, 2016

Weekend Update

Fortunately, though it was hot and humid, the projected weekend triple digit heat never arrived.

Unfortunately, the Santa Anas showed up instead.

That drive out of the area – to my Sunday appointment with the locktician, through dust storms and winds so gusty that the car rocked back and forth, had me gripping the steering wheel like my life depended on it, and dodging trucks being rocked back/forth for fear one would topple onto me.

The moment I wished I’d invested in a dash cam was when, over to the side of the freeway, I observed three cars parked, people outside those cars, some pushing, some pulling a mattress up from an embankment just off the freeway, where it appears to have been blown from the top of one of those cars.

It wasn’t a funny sight (well maybe a little), just interesting; and thank the powers that be the mattress blew OFF the freeway rather than onto other cars, but the sight was a Kodak moment.

Needless to say, there wasn’t any Pokémon Go hunting … except for the Pidgeotto captured inside the salon.




Exhausted from the drive AND from having awakened at 3:00 Sunday morning, after my braids were retightened (new growth locked into the braids), I headed home through the same rocking back and forth, gripping the wheel.

Happy to be back in my little unit, I immediately got comfortable, i.e., disrobed, put a turkey dog in the broiler roasting for a late lunch, nuked the coffee, and planned on doing nothing more than resting on the couch, while watching the Poldark on Masterpiece episodes the DVR recorded while I was away, when all-of-a-sudden my phone went “ding”.

It was a text message from granddaughter asking for a ride to Walmart after she got off work.

So at least I got to relax two hours before getting back to, what my blog friend Dkzody so aptly describes as Living Along the Borders.

Awake once again at 3:00 this morning, goal for today is to erase the border – go nowhere, do nothing.

6 comments:

  1. Sunday was our church's quarterly dining out. A group of us meet at Marie Callender's large banquet room and have lunch. Terry and I were late arriving as he had choir practice and I had to clean up after serving the coffee fellowship after the service. I sat next to a lady who I have gotten to know over the two years we have been attending this church. She is very nice and seems to lead a very calm, peaceful life. Retirement age, she too lives on the border. Her 17 year old grandson is classified as a run-away b/c he won't live at home. She gave me much of his back-story as we sat, waiting for our meals to be served. She is sad about the life he is leading, but hopeful he can turn around and make it back to the "mainland."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the surface, I too seem to lead a very calm, peaceful life, but here I am awake at 2 or 3 in the morning because the surface is deceiving. In reality, there's that border. What ever happened to growing up, can't wait to get out and on one's own, leaving the generation behind you to feel proud of the accomplishment of raising strong, independent, capable people rather than this leaning on the generation behind and worrying them into an early grave. I'm not liking this living on the border.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! It was breezy in the O.C., but nothing like THAT. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoying living in this area as I do, I'd like to say one gets use to the drama caused by the Santa Ana Winds, but that would be a lie. We just suffer it to be so :-)

      Delete
  3. Triple digits are here now on the coast. Hope you are cooler than we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little cooler this week, but the wind and humidity is making it feel hotter than it is. I really love this area, but miss living at the beach.

      Delete