Monday, September 5, 2016

Happy Labor Day

Awake at a reasonable 5:20 this morning, knowing in four days I’ll be entering my 6th year of retirement, it occurred to me – for the first time ever, I’d retired just days after Labor Day.

How is it, in all this time, I did not realize I’d celebrated “the labor movement and contribution workers have made to strength, prosperity and well-being of the country” by removing myself from said work force.

Not that it’s of any importance, it just feels ironic.

Out of bed at 3:30 yesterday morning, having done all I needed to do by 8:00, made for a long boring day. I’m not usually bored, but other people’s problems in my head kept running interference with enjoyment of the simple and serene things that fill my days.

I’m seriously thinking about taking down my facebook page and blocking certain telephone numbers, so I can remain blissfully ignorant of how others are struggling on the path. But then they’d come knocking on my door, asking to talk their problems out … problems that might not have occurred -- or at least may have been mitigated had they not so harshly rejected the pearls of wisdom my spirit offered the few times I did not walk on eggshells, bite my tongue, but instead offered those pearls when something desperately needed to be said, which harsh rejection reflected how my life’s work had been misunderstood and unappreciated.  So, in order to remain blissfully ignorant while others now work through the choices they were determined to make, I think I’d have to also disappear myself to some out-of-the-way area where I can’t be found.

Okay, so now that I’ve got that off my chest, the Fish Fry is scheduled for 1:00 today. Apache and The Seer do not want potato salad, they want hush puppies.

I’m not confident in my cooking abilities, though the recipe I found online seems simple enough, so deli potato salad is what they’re going to get.

2 comments: