Wednesday, September 21, 2016

All Over Town

Today was a good day out-of-the area at the fabric store, for not only did I have a 40% off coupon, but knit fabrics were on sale.

Looking for white rib knit and red 2-way stretch wool/lycra knit, I found neither in a sea of lycra/spandex and cotton/spandex blends. I was beginning to think I’d have to drive to the fabric store on the other side of town, or order online.

Finally, after going down the row, pulling down all the reds, reading the blend labels, I came across a red that had no label but, fortunately, someone had written “Jersey Knit” which I knew to be wool/lycra.

I scored on that $18.88 a yard fabric at the sale price of $9.09.

The only rib knit on the shelf was gray. I needed white, so back to thinking about a store across town or online. However, when the young clerk measuring out the yardage asked if I’d found everything, the answer was “No. You only have the one color rib knit.”

“What color are you looking for?”

“White”.

“Let me check. Sometimes they put it in the wrong place.”

She came back with two types of white rib knit – one smooth, one ribbed, both at $10.49 a yard. I chose the ribbed and got it for the sale price of $6.99.

It was a good thing I piddled away yesterday morning and didn’t make it to the fabric store, because I’d have been one day shy of the sale prices.

The young clerk also asked, “What are you making?”.

I pulled up a photo of the Trainer costume on my phone and, inasmuch as the pattern is so new they didn’t have it in the store yet for me to get precise yardage needed, we had to guess on how much.

“Who are you making it for?” she asked.

“For myself”.

She looked surprised.

It was the same look I’d gotten when making myself tutus for a several Tutu 5Ks year before last.

Why is it so surprising that an old lady like to wear tutus and costumes when it’s obviously for Halloween, a time when folks are in costumes everywhere?

Then she asked, “Do you play?”

“I’m addicted”.

She lit up at this, thought it was “great” and turned into a total geek, telling me where to find PokéStops in the area.

In the area turned out to be a city 6 miles away, where I found myself in a shopping center with a winery (Wine tasting in progress) and a Souplantation. I don’t drink, often wish I could and, had my system been able to handle the alcohol, would have gone in for the tasting. Instead, I hit a few PokéStops and picked up a salad for lunch despite the fact there was a snake at the salad bar.




Making my way to the freeway, to head home, I saw a sign for “Red Hill Park”.

I’d heard there’s been some interesting Pokémon found at that location, so I turned in.

Right the rumors were. I captured three Psyducks in a row before I even got out of the car.




After getting out of the car, there was nothing. Would have been if I’d walked around the park but, by now, it was 3:30, I was starving for that salad picked up for lunch, and headed home.

Going to have to schedule a walk around that park some time in future on a nice cool day.

For now, I’m going to once again try for a bus ride to the University tomorrow morning.

New classes start tomorrow, the sororities will be out campaigning, so the campus should be full of energy, which in turn will generate new Pokémon.

We’ll see.

3 comments:

  1. You could signup for a class too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind auditing a college class, but I certainly don't want to be responsible for a class with credit. All those papers! All those exams! No thanks.

    ReplyDelete