Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Ducks in a Row Part 2

Last two days touring senior complexes, finding full up … no vacancies … wait listed, reminded me of when a job relocation sent me to a beach city where rents were incredibly high. In order to reduce expenses, I applied at my first 55 and over community the second I turned 55 years of age. Even back then, before all the baby boomers aged into senior housing, there was a wait list.

I asked the leasing agent, “Can you give me an idea of how long the wait until a unit opens up?”

“Oh honey, they die” was her response.

Two weeks later, I got the call a unit had become available.

Everyone looked healthy at the complex I viewed yesterday – the complex 35 miles east of here that had just exhausted a 5 year wait list, so I didn’t bother or think on it any longer – especially after not being too thrilled with the unit I was shown.

The place I visited today, 35 miles west of here, wasn’t exactly what I expected. It looked like the senior community my sister lived in until she passed away – more a compound than a complex … gated, elevators, rows of enclosed units like a hotel, private balconies, fitness center.

The building had great reviews from current residents online, the crime stats came up clean for the area, so I’d gone to take a look at the building itself and get on the “short wait list” if I liked what I saw, so I did not get to view an actual unit as there were none vacant.

It’s located in the middle of nowhere, nice clean streets, okay for walking in the daytime, but I’d not be outside of the compound at night.

Not a biggie, because I don't go outside of this place at night either.

Marketing would be a challenge if I were ever without a car, because of nothing within walking distance by way of a market or shopping center, but there’s a bus line and, push come to shove, there’s always uber and cabs.

I did see a Christian Center across the street, a nice park around the corner, and a Starbucks across the street from that, all of which tells me it’s an okay area even without a market.

Though the compound wasn’t my preference of open spaces, I could see myself living there, so I got on the short wait list.

How short, I asked.

“Very short”.

So now, it’s a waiting game.

I will, however, keep my eyes and ears open to other senior communities and it will come down to which comes through first.

2 comments:

  1. The nicer complexes in this area all offer shuttles to grocery stores, going to different ones on a rotating schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember now, shuttle was an option at my sister's compound, so I'm assuming that may be offered at this wait list place as well.

      Delete