Friday, April 22, 2016

Arts and Crafts

Today started off with my pulling myself together first thing, so I could make the new Activity Director’s first session with us -- a 9:00 a.m. Arts and Crafts: Personalized Mug.

Though I’m generally up early – anywhere between 3:30 and 6:00, I actually don’t seize the day and get going until 10:00 or 11:00. So for me, 9:00 is rather early for anything other than a special occasion … like a 5K.

However, this is the first time Arts and Crafts has been made available to us since this management group took over in 2013, and since I’m a crafty person, I focused on getting my act together in time for the 9:00 class.

I didn’t expect many residents to attend because 1) not showing up for the few activities we do have is how residents protest against Nurse Ratched and 2) the monthly calendar listed the event as happening on Friday, April 29th.

Today is Friday, April 22nd.

Fortunately, the new Activity Director saw the calendar, observed the “typo”, made a run through the Community Room a few days ago, telling those present the 29th was not the date she’d turned into the office for inclusion in the monthly calendar and gave those persons flyers with the correct date. The Seer was one of those present. She knew I’d signed up for the class on the 29th and passed word down to me.

If you’ve been a reader of this blog for a while, you’ll know the history of how it is we can’t keep an Activity Director, because Nurse Ratched sabotages their events with locked doors, calendar distributed after-the-fact, dictating what the Activity Director can and cannot do. So this wrong date will come as no surprise to you. It’s what us residents call Nurse Ratched giving the Activity Director “the business”. Showing her from the start who’s boss, in order to demonstrate her butt must be kissed and make them pliable to being dominated and controlled.

The various Activity Directors we’ve had coming through the complex generally do try to do their job, while pleasing Nurse Ratched at the same time, but eventually get discouraged, mentally exhausted and leave.

And so it was, I headed down to the Community Room at 8:55 only to find the office building locked up tight as a drum, with a note on the door that the office is closed all day today. Thinking they’d at least leave the back door to the Community Room open for our class, I walked around to that side where, again, I saw a note of office closure posted; plus an additional note that arts and crafts would be rescheduled.

I’m done! And I’m pretty sure the new Activity Director will be done before she even gets off the ground.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a terrible way to run a business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How they run the place is a mystery. The most often word I've heard spoken by residents is, "What's wrong with these people?"

      Delete