Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall


I'm late on the greeting, but better late than never.

After Sunday’s perfect weather -- even though I didn’t take advantage of it, get up, get out, instead I opted to sit on the couch all day, cross-stitching, catching up on recorded television programs. At any rate, after Sunday’s perfect weather, I couldn’t believe waking up yesterday to a dreary rainy Monday morning, but that’s not the kind of rain I mean.

After following up with a vendor about why it’s taking so long to receive an order, only to find out the order was fulfilled and delivered three weeks ago, it occurred to me that I’m having these odd recurring instances -- package deliveries going haywire, items being pilfered from my unit right under my nose.

First, it was a delivery of makeup.

Second, it was the 12x12 photo album.

Third it was items pilfered from my closet, by a woman from Corporate no less, during that inspection.

Fourth is an unmentionable that, last I heard, was on backorder. Now the vendor tells me tracking indicates was delivered on March 4th.

What is going on?!

No one is breaking into the mail boxes, so the fault must be that of the mail carrier himself.

Performing the same rote activity day in day out, he must be spazzing out, mind drifting, thinking he knows what he’s doing but not paying close enough attention and dropping things in the box next to mine or above mine.

Same dishonest neighbor each time?

That I don’t know, but I’m assuming yes, that the mail carrier is making the same mistake in the same box over and over – even though he tells me he’s infallible, doesn’t make mistakes.

There are no names or unit numbers on the boxes, so I can’t tell who is receiving and keeping my packages.





When a package is oversized, as was that 12x12 photo album, the item goes into these larger boxes.




The key to unlock the larger box then goes into the recipient’s mail box.

So it's a good system, a secure system; BUT, if the mail carrier is dropping the key and/or packages into the box next to mine or above mine and that person is dishonest, as it appears such is the case, then "secure" goes out-the-window and I’m out-of-luck.

There’s no way of knowing which neighbors are in the boxes surrounding mine -- to enable me to speak with those individuals to discover the culprit, and there’s no point going to the office for help.

Since getting packages has turned into such a crap shoot, I’ve been ordering a lot less online -- opting to go without if I can’t find it in stores unless it’s something special -- like that replacement belt buckle is coming from Canada. I’ve also been paying closer attention to usps delivery dates, heading down and waiting for mail so I can check the box before the carrier leaves the premises. (I did not get a usps delivery date on that last item).

Yet and still, the losses keep racking up.

I just don't get it. This has never happened to me before, now it's back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

There are worse things to rain on people’s lives, so I’m grateful it’s just material objects. But it’s beginning to feel like Chinese water torture, drip, drip, drip, drip. 

Maybe I should open up a box at the post office for deliveries.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have good feelings about mail carriers. When we are gone, I stop our mail deliveries, via the USPC website. It's easy and should work well,one would think. However, more than once now, they seem to have trouble getting the mail delivery restarted. We returned last week from our mission trip, and our mail was to be delivered on Thursday. It wasn't. Nor was it delivered on Friday. Terry went to the post office, with a printout of the online stop order, and got the accumulated mail. Then, on Saturday, the mail carrier shows up, while Terry is out working in the front yard, with a rubber-banded pack that appeared to be more accumulated mail. She doesn't seem to be able to do what she is supposed to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like workers don't care nowadays about being reliable and performing their duties well. They just want the paycheck.

      Delete
  2. Did you ever receive your tax refunds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fortunately. Still a bit surprised mine came after yours inasmuch as I'd already filed while you were talking about filing.

      Delete