Friday, March 25, 2016

Egg Coloring Party

Today's Egg Coloring Party was a blast.

The Baker did a good job of organizing the event and setting up the work space so that the mess I expected never materialized.





 
Gold and Diamond egg, made by one of the ladies.

Because there are so many residents with grudges against management and grudges against other residents, there are people who will not set foot into the Community Room, not under any circumstances. Then we have the crotchety bitter old folks who set foot into the Community Room, but only to spread negative energy … look down their noses and scoff at whatever activity is in progress. Big Linda, one of the worst troublemakers on the complex, would come into the Community Room and “hush” people. Sometimes, she’d just sit there and put her fingers in her ears to indicate how displeased she was with others talking.

Fortunately, Big Linda stayed away today, probably because we don't let her bully us; we just ignore her and keep enjoying ourselves with whatever we happen to be doing when she makes her presence known, but we did have two of the other worst offenders in attendance -- sitting over at a corner table, later joined by two other crotchety bitter old women.

They looked resentful that we were having so much fun and spent their time watching and listening to us have fun. Fun is infectious so, after a time, I figured they individually probably would have liked to get off their high horse and join us, but were afraid to step out, be separate, go against the grain.

If this were high school, they’d be the mean girls -- not really wanting to be mean, but trapped in a group mentality.

When I first walked in and we were setting up, one had asked, “What’s going on today?”

“Egg coloring … join us” said I.

One old lady’s response was the same as the woman whose response to a request to take a photo sounded like I’d made an indecent proposal. She gave me a haughty, “I don’t do that!”

Her crotchety friend nodded in agreement and said, “I don’t even like eggs.”

I didn’t care. I was just being polite and inclusive; and her not liking eggs was a blatant lie because she attends all the food events and I’ve seen my deviled eggs on her plate.

But, whatever.

I myself don’t ever want to be the kind of old person who doesn’t enjoy music, laughter, joining in on creative endeavors, encouraging others to have a good time, happy to see others having a good time even if I don’t join in.

I did notice, however, none of the crotchety old ladies had a problem helping themselves to refreshments … cupcakes and hot cross buns. 



I guess the rule of their club is we won’t play with you, but we will take advantage and eat your food.

I’ve been off sugar last few days and, after making myself sick as a dog last weekend, motivation to stay off sugar is strong right now, so the refreshment table didn’t even tempt me.

It was a good thing I colored my eggs in advance because decorating was a lengthy process, not near as easy as I’d envisioned, plus I had to cut my time short because granddaughter called, needing me to act as her uber driver -- pick her up from where she was returning a rental car she and her friends used for a trip to Disneyland and drive her back to her complex.

I had just enough time to finish the turtles and a few minions.




By the time granddaughter was deposited back in her complex, the event was long over; so I finished up in my unit – completing the minions and adding Mike from Monsters, Inc. to the collection.




I don’t have the heart to crack them open and eat, before they go bad. So, I guess they’ll just sit in the refrigerator looking pretty until they do go bad -- unless, on Easter Sunday, I see children with Easter Baskets visiting their grandparents. In which case, I’ll run down and ask if I can put eggs in their baskets.

BTW … only one individual who, in the past, has declined my request to take a photo showed her true self. She’d told me she didn’t know how and got confused, but I saw her snap a photo of her colored eggs. Two of the others with bad hands, sat with us and observed only, because of their hands, so they were truthful. The one that shakes and all her photos come out blurry asked me to take photos with her camera for her, because she really does shake and her photos come out blurry. There was no one available to take a photo of me and, I was so busy decorating eggs and taking photos of others that I forgot to take a selfie of me at the event for my scrapbook.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good time. I don't like hard boiled eggs, but egg coloring is a fun activity. I've wanted to try some of the unique methods like dying with shaving cream or using vegetables for the coloring. I have a friend who has done some beautiful eggs with vegetable skins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first had trouble finding green food color, I tested out veggie dye using spinach, with no success. Never heard of shaving cream method, but sounds interesting.

      Delete