Thursday, October 29, 2015

Road Trip

This weekend is the out of town 5K -- the costumed event in haunted Creek Park.
Haunted … seriously.

The park is officially listed as a recognized place of haunting in Southern California because of not one but two incorporeal visitors -- the sad specter of a little girl crying and calling for her mother and the spirit of a hooded man.

The park looks beautiful in the daytime. But, word-on-the-street is, gets really creepy when the sun sets because that’s when neighbors and late night park visitors can hear and see supernatural stuff (No worries, I’m outta there waaaay before dark).

I’m not one who can drive long distances AND participate that same morning, so I’ll be driving up tomorrow afternoon, spending the night resting in a hotel. That’s what I did last year, when I participated in July’s Crazy Tutu 5K and October’s Hocus Pocus 5K at this park.

Even though it had a Starbucks in the lobby, I didn’t care much for the hotel booked in July, because the room’s aesthetics were all wrong. It was a nice well-known hotel, had recently undergone renovations, but what the decorator did with the room, insofar as choice of furnishings, was criminal.







The room had absolutely no chi … Chi being the the feng shui term for universal energy. “Energy that permeates everything around us, applies to the energy inside our body, as well to the energy inside and outside of buildings”.

You know how you walk into a room and get a sense of well-being? It feels good being there? That’s chi. If you get a bad feeling from a place, a person, that also is chi ... but not in a good way.

In the case of this July room, everything about the room felt wrong because 1) placement of furniture was incorrect, 2) the new carpet was quite ugly, dark, appeared outdated, 3) the new furniture was uncomfortable, dated and looked cheap.
After an uncomfortable night in that chi-less room, I had absolutely no energy and finished the 5K dead last by more than a few minutes.

I liked very much the hotel booked in October. Chi was very pleasing -- room was cute, comfortable, furniture was sturdy, even had a kitchen.






However, the hotel had no elevator.




It was just a short distance up the stairs to my room, but the simple act of carrying my overnight bag that short distance ended in excruciating pain – I threw my back out.
However, the chi in the room was so good that I was able to cowgirl up the next morning, work through the pain, participate in the 5K, finish NOT last by more than a few minutes, even won the costume contest – that was the event for which the Captain America costume was created.

Not wanting to cause myself any unnecessary injuries this time around, I’ve booked a room in an unfamiliar hotel, based solely on the fact it has an elevator.

Hopefully the chi works out.

What costume did I come up with for this year?

Guess.



No comments:

Post a Comment