Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Harvest Breakfast

Set the alarm for 6:00 this morning, so I could get up and start thawing out tater tots, because recipe for Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots calls for first thawing out the tots.




I needn’t have bothered with setting the alarm because, once again, I was up and raring to go at 3:00.

Not much one can do in a senior complex that time of the morning, because you don’t want to disturb your neighbors. So after browsing the internet, playing a couple games of Candy Crush and AlphaBetty Saga, I meditated and worked on that needlepoint project until it was time enough to begin putzing around in the kitchen, wrapping bacon around little tots.



Once that was out of the way, I put the tray back in the refrigerator until after I’d had a bubble bath and got dressed, at which time baking began.

Everything went off without a hitch and by 8:55, thirty-eight bacon-wrapped tots were done.



Just in time to pack up and head out for the 9:00 breakfast.

Did I predict Nurse Ratched might try to come up with something to ruin our fun, like lock up the Community Room? Well, it appears she tried because, by the time I got everything together and arrived at the Community Room, it was like 10 after. As soon as I walked in the door, The Seer informed me the doors had been locked but calls had been made and the maintenance man unlocked for us.

For those of you new to this blog, Nurse Ratched is the name I use in this blog for the Complex Manager because she’s mean, like the character Nurse Ratched from the movie “One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest” The Seer is so named because she's the point-of-contact for us residents, has connections, knows everything and/or can find out stuff for us.

At any rate, the breakfast was a great success.



When I first walked in, we had about 15 residents. As the morning progressed, I counted between 35 and 40.

There was more food than the law should allow – pancakes, sausage, bacon, enchiladas, scrambled eggs, eggs benedict, biscuits and gravy, breakfast casserole, donuts, cupcakes, cake, coffee, juice and those bacon-wrapped tater tots.






One resident got confused and, thinking it was lunch, brought chili.

I don’t get how she got breakfast confused with lunch, but I told her not to worry because there wasn’t anything she could cook these folks wouldn’t eat. Sure enough, people took home containers of chili for lunch and dinner.

I played it safe, ate what I brought, plus a little of the eggs and two of The Baker’s biscuits, which I covered with gravy.



Wearing My Bacon Leggings
Everyone came together in a way which reminded me of how things use to be under prior management. I met three new residents, including the woman with the cold dark unfriendly aura who would not wave back when I waved at her.

I took the initiative, walked up to her, introduced myself, chatted her up a bit and later, as she was leaving, she took the time to catch my eye and wave goodbye.

The event was such a success, so like how things use to be, that the ladies are talking about bringing back another event us residents did for ourselves under prior management – a Christmas Cookie Swap.

I can’t because I’m off sugar. I might be able to sneak a thin slice of this and pinch of that, but whole cookies would kill me.

So Harvest Breakfast is a done deal.

Run4Bacon results are in. I logged in a time of one hour ten minutes and finished 147 out of 162. Not bad, considering the course was all rolling hills.

If you look real hard, you can spot me in the middle of the pack at start of race, heading for the hills.



I’d always wanted to finish First in my age group. This time it finally happened, but only because I was the ONLY one in my age group. Next oldest were two 68 year olds.




I really don’t like courses that include walking up/down hills and mountains, they can be exhausting and terrifying. However, those courses appear to be what the body needs because the muscles in my legs are beginning to feeling really strong. Originally, I was thinking I’d not do the Bacon or Spooktacular next year, but now, if I’m still fit enough to compete at 72 years of age, I may try these difficult courses again.

No comments:

Post a Comment