Friday, September 18, 2015

Pick-A-Color

So that new nail salon didn’t work out.

When I walked in and saw so many male technicians, I lost interest.

I do not care for or feel comfortable with male nail technicians. Not since I dealt with one, a few years back, when I received a Special in the mail, which Special encouraged me to give a newly opened salon a try.

A female was on the desk, the three technicians were male.

I didn’t think anything of it at the time, except I wasn’t happy with the technician constantly trying to engage me in meaningless conversation during the process; and I REALLY wasn’t happy when the final bill came to twice the amount noted as the Special which brought me there in the first place.

When I challenged the price, I was told the technician had put some something on my nails.

I said I didn’t request or approve adding that some something, was not happy with it having been done without my request or permission or knowledge, would not be back, but paid the bill to be done with them.

To add insult to injury, when it came time to remove the polish, that some something was like the devil to remove and ended up damaging my nails.

Second time I ran into a male technician was a salon I walked into which ended up being like a sweat shop. There were too many seats in the salon. We were packed in close, tight, like sardines in a can.

My female technician was working on myself and several other women AT THE SAME TIME, rushing from chair to chair.

She looked so rushed and so pressured to get in as many as she could that I foresaw a heart attack … if not that day, sometime in the future.

There was only one male technician and he was a clown … making himself the center of attention, loud, obnoxious, thinking he was cute, flattering the women he was working on – which they seemed to soak in and take for real, but which I could clearly see was for show and for tips.

The guy just never stopped.

I watched and though my face was not showing judgment, my eyes gave me away because, at one point, he noticed, said something to one of his clients, and toned it down just a smidgen.

Since then, I’ve been doing my own nails; except for twice a year when my daughter treats me to a trip to that expensive spa of hers. There are male technicians there, they seem okay, but I’ve always requested women with no problem.

If I want to go back to that salon, and I do, I may have to carve out time and money to treat myself, because I don’t know if daughter will ever treat me again. She’s very angry with me right now over something I said intended to be supportive and helpful. She of course took it as criticism and went full on Drama Queen.

I’ve learned a lot about human nature in my ongoing spiritual development. The spiritual principle which comes to mind in this instance is, “I am never upset for the reason I think.” Daughter’s upset with ME is pent-up frustration with current trials and tribulations …. Misplaced anger.

Not softening her anger towards me is the fact I view those trials and tribulations as cause and effect, lessons to be learned.

I’ll be down her way, end of next month and, prior to her meltdown, had thought about an overnight visit. However, I can’t deal with the worry or the drama right now, so the best option is to nix the visit, give her time and space to process.

“Trials are but lessons that you failed to learn presented once again, so where you made a faulty choice before you now can make a better one, and thus escape all pain that what you chose before has brought to you. In every difficulty, all distress, and each perplexity Christ calls to you and gently says, ‘My brother, chose again.’ ”

A Course in Miracles, T-31., P-620

On tap for today?

Cooking.

I’ve been wanting to try a recipe I ran across for Chicken, Smoked Sausage and Okra Gumbo.

Today’s the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment